Last week, was one of those weeks that I would prefer to move on from quickly. My little pitty party that I invited you to was luckily short-lived. But that’s life, isn’t it? We have ups and downs, successes and failures, good days and bad. Without one, how could we appreciate the other. This is what gives our lives balance and meaning. Striving not to live at the extreme, but to found ourselves more often than not, in the middle where we can reflect, enjoy, breath.
It doesn’t mean that what I was feeling is gone but I have acknowledged those emotions and thoughts and filed them away. Time to move on.
So how did I take myself out of my pitty party to a better place? I brought myself back to me.
- I forced myself out of bed the next morning and hit the gym. Nothing, and I mean NOTHING, relieves stress and clears a mind like a good workout.
- I started taking Vitamin D… I go to work in the dark and leave in the dark. This is not healthy. We all need the sun but it’s winter in New England. Feeling down…take Vitamin D. Don’t believe me? Ask your doctor about getting your levels checked. I know mine get REALLY low this time of year. It is VERY common.
- I brought my mindfulness practice back to life. I tried to slow down and focus on what I was doing in an effort to bring my mind out of the blues and into the present. For example, I would try to really be present in the shower and not be thinking about all I had to do that day. Just enjoy the shower.
- I reminded myself that I am not perfect. I am going to make mistakes, that is part of learning and growing. I need to be more patient with myself. I need to learn to laugh at my mistakes more.
- I allowed myself to acknowledge how hard things are right now, but I cannot allow that attitude to take over.
- Realize I cannot do it all and that is ok.
- I reminded myself of how far I have come. That’s pretty powerful.
- I also realized I need some fun in my life and I should not feel guilty about it.
- Practice spirituality. Whatever that means to you. For me, spirituality are those things that support my spirit and fill me with light and love.
- Remember to stay true to me and what’s important to me. Finding time every day to spend a little time honoring myself and my soul.
What I am still working on?
- I need to laugh more.
- I need to really relish those times that I get to do something I enjoy like walking the dogs or having dinner with my family. It may be small but it still deserves my appreciation and presence. I need to hold onto those moments more so I can get through the things I don’t want to do.
- I need to blog more. I am so happy when I am reflecting, researching, and sharing.
- I need to ignore the negativity of others. Some people just don’t get it and you can’t make them. That’s their journey and this is mine. I will not let it affect me, that is my choice.
I know I have made this list and shared with you before. But we all need reminders to get back on track after we have derailed. It so easy to get off track in our society. The important part is to get back up.
We are all a work in progress.
Remember, life is a journey.